Sunday, April 19, 2009

let's get 'em


Apparently the average cyclist either has skinny little feet or is okay with constant pain, because most cycling shoes are stupidly narrow. Fortunately the Italians still give us fat-footed folk the opportunity to spend absurd amounts of cash on very single-minded footware. The ones in the picture are Genius 5 Megas from Sidi, and they fit mighty nicely. They're not the most expensive shoes I've ever bought, but that's only because the most expensive ones are designed to let me wreck a motorcycle at high speeds and still walk to the ambulance on my own.

They do work (and fit) quite nicely, though I had forgotten the particular joy of trying to walk in road biking shoes (which by design have a stiff, unbendable sole). For simulation purposes, you could strap a couple saucers to the bottoms of your feet and then try to walk around your kitchen. Now imagine a whole crowd of you skating through a convenience store and you'll have a good idea of what it's like when a ride stops for a break. Hilarity ensues.

I picked these up for the Ride For the Feast, where I'll be spending a couple days on a bike. If you'd like to donate some money to sponsor me, I'd surely appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment